Twitter

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

My friend's funeral was amazing, as expected. I knew it would be a glorious uplifting, not only of Melissa, but of the God she so faithfully served. During the open mike period, I stood to give a shortened version of a poem I wrote for my mother and then adapted for my friend. Later, her pastor read a testimony she had given in service, and in it she talked about what I had said. Truly a kiss from God.

I thought I might retell that story here. I won't tell it as well as Melissa would have, but here goes. My mother had been diagnosed with a rare and aggressive uterine cancer. After a surgery and several chemo treatments (short version)she was given six months to live and placed on hospice. I spent as much of that time as I could with Mom, helping her physically and emotionally to prepare for the end. During part of that time, Mom kept worrying about her relationship with God and if she had done enough and if she really mattered.

Several times, she received some of those address labels in the mail where they ask you to donate to a cause. Receiving them wasn't a problem, that had happened for some time. The thing was, instead of saying Marilyn Masters, they read Marilyn Matters! What a sign and a hug from God to her, reminding her that she did matter, very much, to her God! Through all this, I had written the poem for my mother called "Marilyn Matters".

Later, I shared this story with Melissa as she was going through another round in her fight with cancer and feeling much of the same angst, so wanting to know that she mattered. I adapted the poem, inserting her name, and gave it, along with a letter to my dear friend. Little did I really know the true impact of that until much later. Last Sunday, May 23, 2010, my precious friend met her Lord face to face,


Marilyn Matters!

My friend, I trust you to our Lord,
For I know: Marilyn Matters!
He made you special in His plan
For He knows: Marilyn Matters!
Each day, each pain, He chose for you
For to Him: Marilyn Matters!
So as you rest beneath His wings
Remember: Marilyn Matters!
As each loving detail falls into place,
Remember: Marilyn Matters!

Copyright 2005 Angela Masters Young

Melissa Matters!
My friend I trust you to our Lord,
For I know: Melissa Matters!
He made you special in His plan,
For He knows: Melissa Matters!
Each day, each pain, He chose for you,
For to Him: Melissa Matters!
So as you rest beneath His wings,
Remember: Melissa Matters!
As each loving detail falls into place,
Remember: Melissa Matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to see your thoughts or recieve feedback. Any profane or otherwise offensive comments will not be approved, so keep it clean please:)